For the Dough
1/4 Cup of warm water
2 + 1/2 Teaspoon of dry yeast (1 sachet)
3 1/2 Cups of plain flour
1 Teaspoon of salt
1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
3/4 Cup of warm milk
3 Tablespoons of sugar
2 Tablespoons of melted butter
Coating Mixture for the Dough
1/2 cup of melted butter (in a small bowl)
1 Cup of light muscovado sugar
1 Cup of dark muscovado sugar
1 Teaspoon of cinnamon
1 Teaspoon of allspice
1/2 Cup of ground nuts (walnuts, pecans, Brazils)
All ingredients thoroughly mixed and placed in a small bowl.
For Coating the Tin
Ready made toffee - you will need a generous squirt (or caramel, or chocolate sauce)
A Drip of vegetable oil
1. In a jug combine warm water and yeast and let it stand for a minute or until yeast is slightly foamy.
2. Transfer yeast to a bowl and stir in 1 cup of flour together with salt, sugar, vanilla, egg, 2 tablespoons of melted butter and warm milk.
3. Mix well until the dough is smooth, gradually add the remaining flour and work the dough until it easily comes away from the sides of the bowl and hands (you may need to add some extra flour).
4.Knead it for 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Lightly coat a bowl with vegetable oil, place the dough and cover it with cling film.
6. Let it rest for approx. 2 hours or until it doubles in size.
7. After the dough has risen, turn it onto a floured surface, and flatten an approx. 8-inch square with a roller pin. Divide the dough crosswise using a pizza slicer (or a knife).
8. Pinch the edges of each square and roll it up into a little ball. Grab it with your fingers and dunk it in melted butter then coat with the topping mixture.
9. Once coated placed in a baking tin (bundts are the best) coated with cooking oil and toffee sauce. Ready made sauces are fine.
10. Once the balls have been coated and placed in the pan, cover it with cling film and let it rise for at least 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
11. You may keep it in the fridge overnight for baking in the morning.
12. Bake in preheated oven to 180C for approx. 35 minutes. Bread will spring back when gently pressed.
13. Let it cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and turn it onto a plate. Longer than that it will get stuck!!!
Best eaten warm :)